"After all we are all beautiful as we are, and that’s what special about each of us."

This week we had the pleasure to meet local Maltese athlete Whitney Zahra. Whitney is passionate about fitness and trains regularly at the gym. She talked with us how she dedicates her time for fitness, how embracing exercise in her lifestyle changed both her mental and physical wellbeing. Read below to view her story:

 


How did you start your fitness journey?

My fitness journey started around seven years ago, I felt I was gaining weight but did not do much about it. One day, one of my friends brought it to my attention. Although at that time, his comment really put me down, it made me realize that I must do something about it. The day after I started training by myself, when I lost a few kilos I felt confident enough to join a gym. From that day onwards, I never looked back. Training at the gym gives me motivation both mentally and physically.

 


What made you choose bodybuilding/fitness over other sports?

Sports was something I always enjoyed; however fitness has that something extra which boosts me to work harder. Once fitness becomes part of your life, you can’t do without it. Looking back over the last seven years, I feel that fitness changed me completely. I feel happy and comfortable with my image, not to mention that I managed to lose 17 kilos over these years and learned to enjoy living a healthy lifestyle.

 


How many times a week do you train? Can you share with us how you plan your weekly training sessions?

My weekly training schedule consists of five sessions a week. I usually prefer to keep my rest day for the weekend.

Monday I focus my training on legs, Tuesday it is time to train bicep and tricep which sometimes includes also the forearms, Wednesday I continue my upper body workout by focusing on the shoulders area. Thursday is chest day while Friday I finish off with the back. Saturday I do core exercises and cardio.

 


What is your greatest accomplishment in your fitness journey?

My greatest accomplishments are feeling comfortable and happy with myself. I am always working hard to improve and get better results. Although it requires a lot of sacrifices, I wish to be able to compete in fitness contests in the coming future.


 



Do you keep the same eating plan all year round or do you go through bulking and shredding periods?

Most of the time I try to keep a healthy balanced diet, however there are moments when you have to enjoy some food especially when you have any social events. If I feel I gained some extra weight I immediately go back to my healthy habits to not lose my progress.  Basically, I train hard to keep myself fit and be happy with the way I look.

 

What is your opinion about healthy food? Can you share with us a favourite snack you take when you are on a hurry?

Healthy eating is the key to keep yourself healthy and feel good. What you eat affects you externally and internally. Having said that; there is nothing wrong in enjoying some good food. Balance is the key to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

A protein bar or a protein shake are my usual snacks when I am on a hurry, however I have the habit of preparing my food from the day before. This helps me to keep myself more accountable.

Do you agree that consistency is the key to keep up this lifestyle?

Yes, consistency is the key in life. You need to have an aim and a plan to work for. Setting  a goal in your fitness journey motivates you to work even harder.

Do you enjoy a cheat meal here and there? What is your favourite treat?

Yes, during the weekend either Saturday or Sunday I do enjoy my favourite food. It is often a plate of pasta or a burger with fries.  After a whole week working, I am always looking forward to rest and enjoy some good food. After all I would have worked hard for it throughout the week.


We would like you to send a message to our followers who are thinking to start a healthy lifestyle.

“Starting a healthy lifestyle is not always easy, be determined and have faith that you will manage to achieve what you wish for. This lifestyle helps not only helps you physically but also mentally. You feel satisfied with your life.

Remember you are doing this for your health and to feel good about yourself. From my experience, I never a clue about healthy living but today after seven year, I look back and feel proud of myself. I feel confident and happy with the way I look. When I am going, I look in the mirror and see the results I have been working so hard for, this makes me motivated to work even harder.

If there is someone out there who wishes to start, just go for it, you will thank yourself for your choice. If I managed to do this change, you can too.

Finally, never allow anyone to hurt you with their words, work hard and prove them wrong. After all we are all beautiful as we are, and that’s what special about each of us.”

 


On behalf of balance bites, we would like to thank you for finding the time to share your fitness journey with us. We are sure your determination and love towards fitness will inspire many others to start their journey too.  Keep up the good work !


Comments